West Main Artists Co-op
The West Main Artists Co-op is a grassroots organization created by localartists looking for an affordable place to make art and be a member of a community of like-minded individuals. It serves a broad range of artists, from beginners to well established artists.
The Co-op consists of more than 50 members who range in age from 21- to 87-years-old and come from varying backgrounds. We are not just visual artists, but are inclusive of all the arts and currently have four musicians, a performance troupe, a poet and an actress. Members live in all areas of Spartanburg, from Campobello to Roebuck, as well as Union, Gaffney, Greer, Greenville, and Asheville.
Our mission is to provide affordable studio, exhibition, and performance space to our members, while creating a close-knit community of artists who support each other and the local arts community. A goal within our mission is to be a professional organization that provides the Community and visitors with opportunities to
- purchase local art,
- view artists working in their studio spaces
- attend gallery shows, performances and educational workshops
The Co-op is a 20,000 square foot building with:
- 34 fully occupied studios
- 2 retail shops
- 3 galleries
- a newly remodeled Venue - which was the sanctuary of the former church – and is now available for rent to the public for performances, exhibitions, and other events
- a fully equipped ceramics studio
- and The Printery - The Printery, is unique in the region, as it is an active letterpress operation which has been created to offer educational opportunities for the local community. The antique equipment and other resources have been gathered from all over the country and assembled within the Co-op.
The Co-op is an active participant in the arts community. For the past three years we have been a major sponsor in the Hub City Empty Bowls project, and have hosted multiple bowl-making events for the community in our ceramics studio.
We participate in the Spartanburg Downtown Art Walks and have welcomed visitors from all over the upstate. We work with other local arts organizations to promote the arts in Spartanburg.
Visitors often comment that we are Spartanburg’s BEST KEPT SECRET.
West Main Artists Co-op
578 West Main Street
Spartanburg, SC 29301
Open to the public
Tuesday – Friday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday – 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.